Re: Shared disk storage

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: Shared disk storage
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Tue, Sep 06, 2005 at 01:47:42PM -0500, Jim C. Nasby wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 06, 2005 at 10:13:33AM -0500, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> > On Mon, Sep 05, 2005 at 12:20:24 +0300,
> >   Peter Nixon <listuser@peternixon.net> wrote:
> > > Hi List
> > >
> > > Does anyone have any comments, HOWTOs and experience running multiple
> > > Postgres servers with a shared disk (SAN) in a Hot standby configuration?
> > >
> > > Can someone please point me in the direction of any docs on this subject?
> >
> > Be sure to have some failsafe to prevent two servers from running at the
> > same time on the same data. If that ever happens your database will be hosed.
>
> I thought PostgreSQL already had such a safeguard? Or is it only against
> starting two backends against the same PGDATA on the same machine?

Only in the same machine.  I've seen people report corruption because
the failover kicked in when it wasn't actually needed.  He had to
restore from backup AFAIR ...

--
Alvaro Herrera -- Valdivia, Chile         Architect, www.EnterpriseDB.com
"Porque francamente, si para saber manejarse a uno mismo hubiera que