Re: Remove xmin and cmin from frozen tuples

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: Remove xmin and cmin from frozen tuples
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Sep 02, 2005 at 01:30:58PM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:

> > Contrariwise, it doesn't really matter (I think) if there are WAL-logged
> > records already in the table and COPY is adding more that aren't logged.
> > (You might have to force COPY to start adding the rows on freshly added
> > pages ... hmm ... all of a sudden I think we had this discussion
> > already? I for sure remember the fresh-pages trick from some other
> > thread.)
>
> Yes, and that's what shot the proposal down before.   But I don't think we
> devoted sufficient discussion to the "new table" case.

If we are going to have real partitioning sometime soon, I don't think
the restriction is a problem.  You may have to load a whole partition
again, which may be faster than using logged COPY to an already-filled
partition.  The point is, it's not the whole table, just a partition.

--
Alvaro Herrera -- Valdivia, Chile         Architect, www.EnterpriseDB.com
"Acepta los honores y aplausos y perderás tu libertad"