Re: sequences TODO items

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: sequences TODO items
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Jaime Casanova wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i'm looking for some item i can do and that have enough consensus to
> make it worth the effort... :)
>
> * Have sequence dependency track use of DEFAULT sequences, seqname.nextval?
>
> what this means? i don't understand it...

The idea is to automatically add a dependency of the sequence on the
table using it as a default.

> * %Disallow changing default expression of a SERIAL column?
>
> why? a SERIAL is not really a datatype but a short-hand to make an
> integer with a nextval's sequence as default... so why making them
> both (the integer type and the nextval's sequence as default) act as
> if it were a single unit?
> Actually, i have dropped sequences created with SERIAL because i found
> that was better to me to make it manually...

Well, SERIAL adds dependency information, so if you drop the table, the
sequence is dropped.  If you change the default for a serial type, the
dependency on the sequence should go away.

Pennsylvania19073