Re: Sending a select to multiple servers.

От Ligesh
Тема Re: Sending a select to multiple servers.
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Fri, Aug 26, 2005 at 11:04:59AM -0500, Frank Wiles wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 20:54:09 +0530
>   This is typically handled by the application layer, not a standard
>   client.  Mostly because every situation is different, you may have
>   10 servers and need 10 rows of results, others may need something
>   entirely different.
>
>   This isn't really a "cluster" either.  In a clustered environment
>   you would send the one query to any of the 10 servers and it would
>   return the proper results.
>
>   But like I said this type of application is fairly trivial to write
>   in most scripting or higher level languages.

 The cluster logic is sort of implemented by this client library. If you write this at higher level the scalability
becomesan issue. For 10 servers it is alright. If you want to retrieve 100 rows, and there are 100 servers, you will
havea total result set of 10,000, which should be re-sorted and the 9900 of them should be droped, and only the 100
shouldbe returned.

 Anyway, what I want to know is, if there is such a functionality offered by some C library.

 Thanks.

--
:: Ligesh :: http://ligesh.com