Re: gettime() - a timeofday() alternative

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: gettime() - a timeofday() alternative
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Brendan Jurd wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I propose to add an internal function gettime() that transparently
> returns the current system time, as a timestamptz with maximum
> precision.
>
> Calling gettime() would be a more elegant approach than calling
> timeofday() and converting it to a timestamp, and avoids some of the
> potential problems in that conversion (such as "Sat" being
> misinterpreted as an Australian timezone).
>
> I'm open to alternate suggestions for the name of the function.
>
> If there are no objections, I'll start cooking up a patch right away.

We already have a TODO for this:* Add transaction_timestamp(), statement_timestamp(), clock_timestamp()  functionality
CurrentCURRENT_TIMESTAMP returns the start time of the current  transaction, and gettimeofday() returns the wallclock
time.This will  make time reporting more consistent and will allow reporting of  the statement start time.

Pennsylvania19073