Re: Remote administration functionality

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: Remote administration functionality
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Dave Page wrote:
> > With this change, editing ph_hba.conf by hand should only be done when
> > the database is down...
>
> Don't tell me, tell all the users that log bugs when their changes get
> lost because they didn't read that bit of the manual for whatever
> version this might or might not end up in :-).
>
> People are used to editting the file and hupping the server, and I would
> guess few of us existing users re-read the pg_hba.conf manual pages when
> setting up our shiny new version.

A change like this would have to be mentioned prominently in the release
notes.  I am afraid SET GLOBAL/postgresql.conf would have the same
issues.

One trick we could do is to warn if the loaded pg_hba.conf doesn't match
the file contents at the time we flush to disk, but I see no way to warn
cases where editing pg_hba.conf overwrites a change made by SQL.

I can't see how to offer SQL and file system editor capabilities to the
same file without such possible conflicts.  I guess I then wonder if we
still want both capabilities.

Pennsylvania19073

Сообщение: Re: shrinking the postgresql.conf
Сообщение: Re: shrinking the postgresql.conf