Re: PostgreSQL 8.0.3 Documentation - Chapter 23. Monitoring Database Activity

От Roman Neuhauser
Тема Re: PostgreSQL 8.0.3 Documentation - Chapter 23. Monitoring Database Activity
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
# halleypo@yahoo.com.br / 2005-07-26 13:48:55 +0000:
> --- Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> escreveu:
>
> > Am Dienstag, 26. Juli 2005 12:06 schrieb Halley Pacheco de Oliveira:
> > > The user, database, and connection source host items remain the same for
> > > the life of the client connection, but the activity indicator changes.
> >
> > > So the database name didn't remain the same, neither the process id.
> > > Connecting to another database creates a brand new connection using other
> > > server process as it seems to be. I think it should be written in this
> > > paragraph. I couldn't imagine that, for me the process was still the same.
> >
> > What is the problem here?  You create a new connection, so you get the
> > information in the new connection, as documented.
>
> There is no problem, just a surprise. Once I was connected to one database I didn't expect that a
> connection to another database inside psql would close one process and fork a new process. Once
> the chapter is about Monitoring Database Activity, I think that it would be good to alert the
> readers about this fact. Maybe other users dont't expect this fact too. Just that.

    If anywhere, such information would belong to the psql(1)
    documentation, where it already is:

    \connect (or \c) [ dbname [ username ] ]
           Establishes  a  connection to a new database and/or under a user
           name. The previous connection is closed.

You don't know, man.  You don't KNOW.

Сообщение: Re: PostgreSQL 8.0.3 Documentation - Chapter 23. Monitoring Database Activity
Сообщение: Re: PostgreSQL 8.0.3 Documentation - Chapter 23. Monitoring Database Activity