Re: help: production db stuck in startup mode

От Ed L.
Тема Re: help: production db stuck in startup mode
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Wednesday July 20 2005 1:19 pm, Ed L. wrote:
> On Wednesday July 20 2005 1:13 pm, Ed L. wrote:
> > I have a 7.4.6 db running on itanium hpux 11.23.  It appears
> > a vacuum ran out of disk space:
> > 2005-07-20 13:47:43 [6161]   ERROR:  DBI::do failed for SQL
> > [VACUUM VERBOSE] to database clincomm:  DBI error:  PANIC:
> > could not write to file
> > "/users/postgresql-7.4.6/data/pg_xlog/xlogtemp.6178": No
> > space left on device
> >
> > Pgsql was unresponsive, so we sent SIGINT, then SIGQUIT,
> > both with no response, so finally, sent SIGKILL, then used
> > ipcrm to clear the shm and semaphores.  Then we (cleared
> > diskspace and) restarted, but
> > upon restart, it's stuck in "FATAL:  the database system is
> > starting up" mode.

The system finally restarted, but it went through auto-recovery
and took some number of minutes to completely come up.

Autovac was in the process of doing a db-wide vacuum to prevent
xid wraparound.  We had 1-2gb of diskspace free.  What kind of
diskspace usage surge might that create for a 20gb+ db?

Ed