Re: chosing a database name

От Karsten Hilbert
Тема Re: chosing a database name
Дата
Re: chosing a database name  (Richard_D_Levine@raytheon.com)
Re: chosing a database name  (Tim Allen <tim@proximity.com.au>)
Список pgsql-general
On Wed, Jul 13, 2005 at 12:53:15PM -0400, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> > we are developing GNUmed, a medical practice management
> > application running on PostgreSQL (you want your medical
> > data to be hosted by something reliable, don't you ;-)  We
> > are putting out our first release sometime in the next two
> > weeks.
> >
> > The idea is to name the production database "gnumed0.1" for
> > version 0.1 (gnumed0.2 etc for upcoming releases). I do
> > realize the "." may force me to quote the database name in,
> > say, a CREATE DATABASE call.
>
> I doubt you'll have any problems with the tools, but the quoting may
> prove painful.  Why not replace the dot with an underscore? gnumed0_1
Good suggestion. I will try to find a name that a) makes the
version tag unambigous and b) does not require quoting.

My main concern, however, was whether the *approach* is
sound, eg using a separate database name per release or IOW
version. One way would be to use the database name "gnumed"
regardless of release, another way would be to use
"gnumedX_Y" for release X.Y. I wonder whether the latter
approach has any drawbacks people might think of regarding
release management etc.

Thanks,
Karsten
--
GPG key ID E4071346 @ wwwkeys.pgp.net
E167 67FD A291 2BEA 73BD  4537 78B9 A9F9 E407 1346

От: "Google Mike"
Сообщение: What's Popular for CMS and RAD with PHP/PostgreSQL?
От: Karsten Hilbert
Сообщение: Re: chosing a database name