Re: Why UPDATE gl SET gl.glnum = gl.glnum; cause error when UPDATE gl SET glnum = glnum; is OK ?

От Bruno Wolff III
Тема Re: Why UPDATE gl SET gl.glnum = gl.glnum; cause error when UPDATE gl SET glnum = glnum; is OK ?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Fri, Jul 08, 2005 at 09:59:03 -0400,
  David Gagnon <dgagnon@siunik.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I was juste wondering why the following code don't work:

Because the value being set is a column name from the table being updated
and you aren't allowed to qualify it with a table name.

You don't really want to use the table name of the right side either as
that will result in gl being joined to itself and will not give you the
results you expect. (This is using the implied from feature which is
enabled by default in 8.0.* or less, but will be disabled by default
in 8.1.)