Re: installing postgres on solaris

От Michael Fuhr
Тема Re: installing postgres on solaris
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
[Please copy the mailing list on replies so others can contribute
to and learn from the discussion.]

On Wed, Jul 06, 2005 at 08:40:10PM -0500, Mogin Mohandas wrote:
> No..Im just downloading it from the website. So its from source. The
> install 'read only' talks about the 'su' command which made me think
> of root....

su is for becoming another user, root or otherwise.  If you have
permission to write to the installation directory then you shouldn't
need to become root.  Some people do suggest for security reasons
that you run the postmaster as a different user than the user who
owns the installed files, so you might need su (or sudo) for that.

> i had problems configuring using the ./configure command...it said
> some files were missing,,,,

What was the exact error message?

> so i sent the directories using telnet and now its going further
> after the ./configure.

What do you mean by "sent the directories using telnet"?

> But it stops at one place saying failed..readline...

What's the exact error message?  If you don't have readline installed
then you could configure with the --without-readline option, but it
would be better to install readline so you can take advantage of it.

--
Michael Fuhr
http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/