User Defined Note Order Problem

От
Тема User Defined Note Order Problem
Дата
Re: User Defined Note Order Problem
Список pgsql-novice
i have an order column in my table to display
instruction notes in the desired order.

one note is no problem - of course that note is first.
 if only life stopped at one note! -lol-

adding a second note, though, is causing me some
problems.  eg, the 2nd note may need to be displayed
1st or 2nd.  the code is pretty straight forward if it
is to be displayed 2nd.

if the second note needs to be displayed first,
though, the code is more challenging.

i will display both notes with  with the 2nd note
coming 2nd.  the user will see the notes and then
determine the newly entered note currently displayed
2nd will need to be displayed 1st.

i need to bump the order number +1 for every order
number >= the required order number of newly entered
note (in this specific case, that would be 1 b/c the
first note is being bumped.  1+1 would leave order
number 2 for the existing note and the newly entered
note would have order number 1).

i suspect i can do this in php once i have grabbed the
order number of the new note from the user.

however, is this an application for stored procedures
or triggers?  i'm off to read the manual now.  should
i use php or pgsql's functionality to get this done
(if possible)?  i would appreciate any available
insight.

thank you.

http://auctions.yahoo.com/