Autovacuum in the backend

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Autovacuum in the backend
Дата
Re: Autovacuum in the backend  (Hannu Krosing <hannu@skype.net>)
Список pgsql-hackers
One goal for 8.1 is to move /contrib/pg_autovacuum in to the backend.  I
think it has to be done in four stages:
o  move it into the backend and have it start/stop automaticallyo  move the autovacuum configuration parameters into
postgresql.confo modify the code to use the backend API for error recoveryo  modify the code to use the backend API
utilities,like hashes

Who would like to get started on this?  It seems pretty straight-forward.

Tom Lane wrote:
> "Thomas F. O'Connell" <tfo@sitening.com> writes:
> > Honestly, I'd prefer to see pg_autovacuum improved to do O(n) rather
> > than O(n^2) table activity. At this point, though, I'm probably not
> > too likely to have much time to hack pg_autovacuum before 8.1 is
> > released, although if it doesn't become integrated by beta feature
> > freeze, I might give it a shot.
>
> This would be vastly easier to fix if the code were integrated into the
> backend first.  In the backend environment you could just keep the info
> in a dynahash.c hashtable instead of in a linear list.  On the client
> side, you have to roll your own hashing (or adapt dynahash to life
> outside the backend environment).
>
>             regards, tom lane

> TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend

Pennsylvania19073