Re: Help with function

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: Help with function
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Thu, Jun 09, 2005 at 06:17:24PM +0000, Chris Hoover wrote:
> I am trying to write a very generic function to be used for table auditing.  I am kind of stuck on how to make the
functionuse the column names I pull from the db.  Is there anyway to do what I have below?  My main concern is this
segment:

> if (new.columnName != old.columnName or
>         (old.columnName is null and new.columnName is not null) or
>         (old.columnName is not null and new.columnName is null)
>        ) then
>
> How can I get PostgreSQL to substitute the selected column name for the old.columnName/new.columnName?

Standard answer has been "can't do that in plpgsql".  You may want to
try pl/perl, pl/python (does that support triggers?) or pl/tcl.

If performance is an issue, write the function in C.

--
Alvaro Herrera (<alvherre[a]surnet.cl>)
"If it wasn't for my companion, I believe I'd be having

От: "Chris Hoover"
Сообщение: Help with function
От: James Herbers
Сообщение: PostgreSQL default data location