Re: Joel's Performance Issues WAS : Opteron vs Xeon

От: Alvaro Herrera
Тема: Re: Joel's Performance Issues WAS : Opteron vs Xeon
Дата: ,
Список: pgsql-performance

Скрыть дерево обсуждения

Re: Joel's Performance Issues WAS : Opteron vs Xeon  ("Dave Page", )
 Re: Joel's Performance Issues WAS : Opteron vs Xeon  (Andreas Pflug, )
  Re: Joel's Performance Issues WAS : Opteron vs Xeon  ("Joel Fradkin", )
   Re: Joel's Performance Issues WAS : Opteron vs Xeon  (Bruce Momjian, )
   Re: Joel's Performance Issues WAS : Opteron vs Xeon  (Alvaro Herrera, )
    Re: Joel's Performance Issues WAS : Opteron vs Xeon  (Mischa Sandberg, )
    Re: Joel's Performance Issues WAS : Opteron vs Xeon  ("Joel Fradkin", )
     Re: Joel's Performance Issues WAS : Opteron vs Xeon  ("Jim C. Nasby", )
      Re: Joel's Performance Issues WAS : Opteron vs Xeon  ("Joel Fradkin", )
       Re: Joel's Performance Issues WAS : Opteron vs Xeon  ("Joshua D. Drake", )
        Re: Joel's Performance Issues WAS : Opteron vs Xeon  (, )
      Re: Joel's Performance Issues WAS : Opteron vs Xeon  (Christopher Browne, )

On Fri, Apr 22, 2005 at 01:51:08PM -0400, Joel Fradkin wrote:
> I just finished testing Postgres, MYSQL, and MSSQL on my machine (2 gigs
> internal XP).
>
> I have adjusted the postgres config to what I think is an ok place and have
> mysql default and mssql default.
>
> Using Aqua studio a program that hooks to all three I have found:
>
>       Initial exec  Second exec  Returning 331,640 records on all 3 database
> MSSQL    468ms          16ms              2 mins 3  secs
> MYSQL   14531ms       6625ms              2 mins 42 secs
> Postgr  52120ms      11702ms              2 mins 15 secs

One further question is: is this really a meaningful test?  I mean, in
production are you going to query 300000 rows regularly?  And is the
system always going to be used by only one user?  I guess the question
is if this big select is representative of the load you expect in
production.

What happens if you execute the query more times?  Do the times stay the
same as the second run?

"Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"