Re: Troubleshooting Postgres7.4

От Michael Fuhr
Тема Re: Troubleshooting Postgres7.4
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Tue, Apr 19, 2005 at 02:11:47PM -0400, Bobb Shields wrote:

> I'm running 7.4, and I recently did a few upgrades, which seem to have
> broken it.

Could you expand on "seem to have broken it"?  What are you doing
and what unexpected behavior or error messages are you seeing?

> I believe that all of them were php updates.

What exactly did you change?  The version of PHP?  Application code
written in PHP?  Something else, like settings in postgresql.conf?

> Anywho, my service configuration shows that postmaster is stopped. I
> can't find an instance of it in my system monitor.
>
> Can you help me to figure out if its still running, and if its not, why it
> won't start like it should?

You could use ps from a shell prompt to verify whether the postmaster
is running.  For example, "ps ax | grep postmaster" should work on
your system (you said you were using Linux).

Try to start the postmaster from the shell and see what happens.
If it doesn't start but you see nothing on the screen, then look
through postgresql.conf and the PostgreSQL startup script to see
where log messages are going, then look through those messages to
see what's happening.

As I recall, some PostgreSQL packages for Linux redirect the
postmaster's output to /dev/null -- if this is the case on your
system, then I'd suggest changing that so you can see startup errors.

--
Michael Fuhr
http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/