cost of empty fields

От Enrico Weigelt
Тема cost of empty fields
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Hi folks,

we've got an quite large table with 17 columns and now >15k rows.
The table works also as an journal will continously grow day by day.
Man of the columns (mostly text) aren't needed anymore if the tuple
has reached a certain age.
So I thought about clearing the unnecessary fields of old tuples
to save resources. Does it bring any performance improvement ?

Of I could splitt off this table an working- an archive- table
and map them together in some views - someday I probably *will*
do it - but our applications are not yet ready for this.

thx
 Enrico Weigelt    ==   metux IT service

  fax:       +49 36207 519932         email:     contact@metux.de
  cellphone: +49 174 7066481