Re: locale and character set

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: locale and character set
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Am Donnerstag, 31. März 2005 15:49 schrieb Tsirkin Evgeny:
> Is there any relation between the locale and character set?

Every locale expects a certain character set to be used.  You can find that
out using

$ LC_ALL=foo locale charmap

If you want things to function correctly, you have to use a character set that
matches the one the locale expects.

> For example if i store the data as sql_ascii can i still use the locale
> as utf-8?
> In my case i have the data stored as ascii but i just know it is
> actually utf-8 and i am doing upgrade ,

That should work, but of course you have no guarantees that the UTF-8 is
valid, so the sorting routines and others may behave erratically if they find
an error.

--
Peter Eisentraut