Re: Encoding-related errors when moving from 7.3 to 8.0.1

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: Encoding-related errors when moving from 7.3 to 8.0.1
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Tue, Mar 22, 2005 at 09:28:17PM -0500, Carlos Moreno wrote:

> >I guess what changed from version 7.4.x to 8.0 is that the default
> >server_encoding changed?
>
> Some further digging through the documentation reveals (in addition
> to the fact that I seem to be an incompetent when it comes to search
> through documentation :-)) that the above is indeed the case.

Oh, I forgot that.  In 8.0 the encoding is actually derived from the
locale settings, in case the platforms supports that.  Previously,
SQL_ASCII was always the default IIRC.

> Apparently, conversion from latin1 to UNICODE works?  (or at least
> doesn't trigger an error -- I wonder if some characters appear now
> incorrectly?  I'll check that).

Yes, it works (both ways).

"El realista sabe lo que quiere; el idealista quiere lo que sabe" (Anónimo)