Re: Severe Badness On My Server: psql: FATAL: the database

От Mitchell Laks
Тема Re: Severe Badness On My Server: psql: FATAL: the database
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Thank you Tom and Frank!

As usual you gurus were 100% on target.

I had a raid1 failure on my data drive which caused the /var partition on my
system drive to fill with kernel messages in /var/log/messages from the
failing /dev/hdg1 drive.

Therefore, when I logged in remotely and tried to work with the system, I
first made room in /var by deleting stuff from /var/log/messages. But I didnt
want to power down the machine cause it is in a different borough here in
NYC :). I wanted to reboot remotely, which I could not do cause /var filling
must of messed up other processes which refused to allow me to reboot via
software.

So finally I pushed the button. I drove over and rebooted and removed /dev/md0
from the /etc/fstab and booted into linux, pg_dumped the database and moved
it to another server and all is fine.

I suspect I should move /var/lib/postgresql to its own partition to separate
out the point of failure of the hard drives from postgresql. What do you
think?

Thanks again both of you!,

Mitchell Laks