Re: PostgreSQL still for Linux only?

От Jim Wilson
Тема Re: PostgreSQL still for Linux only?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
> From: Tope Akinniyi

<snip>
experiences. As an IT organisation that wants to stay in business you need to give to people what they wants.  I think
thatis
the basis of service. I have some deployments of PostgreSQL on Windows servers. I must admit that we have not had any
problemsso
far.
</snip>

Dear Tope,

My apologies that I cannot answer your questions directly,  hopefully someone else will on the list.

Understand that this is not really that much of a cultural issue.  Both Linux and Postgres are born from interational
cooperation.  Even in the United States,  windows use is pervasive, with very little support or desire for Linux (or
other
non-windows operating systems).  The long history of Posix systems in the United States is really limited to
educational,research
institutions and a very small percentage of commercial enterprises.  Linux has changed this a little over the last 5
yearsor so.
But I personally know dozens of IT professionals local to my area and only one of them is what I would call a linux
expert. This
same ratio applies to the end user market.

If what your customers really want is reliablity and replication options, then that currently conflicts with Windows
and
Postgres.  Noone can really guarantee that will change.  But I submit that if you really want to acheive excellence in
theIT
business you will educate yourself and then your customers about using Linux for dedicated database services.  You will
realize
high reliability and easy maintenance for very low per user cost as compared to just about anything else.

You may want to contact the folks at this web address for local linux support.  http://nglug.org/

In any case I wish you the best of luck in your business.

Best regards,

Jim Wilson