PostgreSQL still for Linux only?

От Tope Akinniyi
Тема PostgreSQL still for Linux only?
Дата
Re: PostgreSQL still for Linux only?  (Robby Russell <robby@planetargon.com>)
Re: PostgreSQL still for Linux only?  (Michael Fuhr <mike@fuhr.org>)
Re: PostgreSQL still for Linux only?  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Re: PostgreSQL still for Linux only?  ("Uwe C. Schroeder" <uwe@oss4u.com>)
Re: PostgreSQL still for Linux only?  (Scott Marlowe <smarlowe@g2switchworks.com>)
Re: PostgreSQL still for Linux only?  (Chris Travers <chris@metatrontech.com>)
Список pgsql-general
Hi,

I am wondering at this display of extreme Linux mentality being displayed by the 'top bras' of the PostgreSQL community.  And I ask, are we encouraging Windows use of PostgreSQL at all?

Take a look at tools being rolled out at PgFoundry on daily basis; all for Linux except the Windows installer.  I ask myself what is being done to encourage PostgreSQL Windows users.  Nothing is available to them except the Database and PgAdmin.  No replication tool, no this, no that.

I was troubled when CommandPrompt, the leading Windows support provider responded to a post that their plPHP is for Linux only.

Sorry for this:  Firebird provides equal tools for Linux and Windows users.  We are not the one to tell the Windows users whether they need them.

Whether Windows is bad or good; Linux is the angel and Windows the devil is not the issue here. PostgreSQL has gone the Windows way and must not be shown to be deficient.

I am not holding anybody responsible, but I think we need to do a massive re-orientation of the community not to carry the Linux-Windows game too far.

Thanks.

-------
Best regards,

Tope Akinniyi
CEO
ShepherdHill Software

Lagos, Nigeria

Do not forget: Jesus said, I am the way, the truth and the life.