question regarding Example 2-4

От yen
Тема question regarding Example 2-4
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
Hi.

I was reading the postgres tutorial and I was confused by this example. I'll post here the example and the given tables.

Example 2-1. The Suppliers and Parts Database

   SUPPLIER   SNO |  SNAME  |  CITY      SELLS   SNO | PNO             -----+---------+--------           -----+-----               1  |  Smith  | London              1  |  1               2  |  Jones  | Paris               1  |  2               3  |  Adams  | Vienna              2  |  4               4  |  Blake  | Rome                3  |  1                                                  3  |  3                                                  4  |  2   PART       PNO |  PNAME  |  PRICE              4  |  3              -----+---------+---------            4  |  4               1  |  Screw  |   10               2  |  Nut    |    8               3  |  Bolt   |   15               4  |  Cam    |   25

SELECT PNAME, PRICE
   FROM PART
   WHERE PNAME = 'Bolt' AND
         (PRICE = 0 OR PRICE < 15);
will lead to the result:
                      PNAME  |  PRICE                     --------+--------                      Bolt   |   15
From what I understand, the select statement should query the PART
table for records with PNAME equal to Bolt and having a PRICE of
either 0 or less tahn 15. The row with PNAME Bolt has a PRICE EQUAL
to 15 so the select statement should have resulted to an empty set.

Was my understanding wrong?

Thanks,
yen

Do you Yahoo!?