Re: Work on Table Inheritance

От elein@varlena.com (elein)
Тема Re: Work on Table Inheritance
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
That the children tables do not inherit these items is mostly
by design, for better or worse.  Many people take advantage
of the indexes distribution across the tables and the ability
to have triggers and keys different across the inheritance
can be useful.

This is a controversial subject.  You should be familiar
with the original intentions of the UC postgres project with
regards to table inheritances as well as the well trodden
arguments for and against pushing all of the features
in the parent table into the children tables.  For example,
the is a Stonebraker not a Date implementation of table
inheritance.

--elein
elein@varlena.com

On Wed, Feb 16, 2005 at 07:22:39AM -0800, Eliot Simcoe wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm working on a project which makes extensive use of the PostgreSQL table inheritance features and am interested in
fixingsome bugs I have come across. To my knowledge, triggers, primary keys, index, foreign key and unique constraints
arenot inherited. I am more than willing to put the time into learning the PgSQL source tree and creating/submitting
patchesto correct the above issues, but I need some help getting started. If there is anyone on the list familiar with
thistopic who could point me in the right direction, I'll start asap.

От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: Strange RETURN NEXT behaviour in Postgres 8.0
От: Oleg Bartunov
Сообщение: how to make table inherits another ?