Re: Python Driver

От James Thompson
Тема Re: Python Driver
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Thursday 10 February 2005 08:56 pm, Alex Turner wrote:
> Just a small warning for those people using python with postgresql:
> pysgresql and psycopg are very different animals.  You cannot drop in
> one as a replacement for the other, even though both 'claim' to be DB
> API 2.0 compliant.

None of the python postgresql drivers are drop in replacements for each other.
Some drivers, such as popy return all data as strings, some have broken
fetchmany support, each IIRC return different exceptions in different
situations.  Pygresql has its own API that I believe predates DBAPI 2.0 and
support for the standard API was added at a later date.

shameless plug.....

One feature of gnuenterprize.org's common library is a datasource system that
uses a single connections.conf file that contains  entries like

[devel]
comment = Development DB
provider = psycopg
host = rdbms.gnuenterprise.org
dbname = devel

to setup a connection to a database named "devel".  Providers can be any of
the 4 postgresql drivers, oracle, db2, ingres, mysql,  ado, odbc, etc, etc.
Most if not all the dbsig 2 drivers are supported.  Other formats such a dbf
and csv are supported to varying degrees.  You can switch out databases by
editing that one file.  Providers are not limited to just databases either,
our application server is just another provider in our system.  Differences
between providers are handled transparently to the developer.

Take Care,
James