Re: Safely Killing Backends (Was: Applications that leak connections)

От Jim Wilson
Тема Re: Safely Killing Backends (Was: Applications that leak connections)
Дата
Re: Safely Killing Backends (Was: Applications that leak connections)  (Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@svana.org>)
Список pgsql-general

> Your application should handle failures in the middle of a
transaction,
> connection failures included, in a graceful but correct way.

It does very well, until the next bug is discovered.

> I see your point (being able to safely shut a connection down on the
> server side), but it\'s at the _bottom_ of any list.
>
> .TM.
> --
>        /  /   /
>       /      /       /            Marco Colombo

That\'s unfortunate.  I\'ve tried to explain my position off list to
Marco,
but it really isn\'t worth debating.  FWIW I think this thread was
started
by someone with application issues.  The fact is, such things happen.

Unfortunately Marco choses speaks for "any list" and I\'ll just
repeat that I find this instability issue the most significant drawback

for Postgres installations.  This doesn\'t mean that there aren\'t other
areas
of priority for other users.  And no, I do not want to debate the
meaning
of the word "instability". :-)

Best regards,

Jim Wilson