Re: Thinking about breaking up the BufMgrLock

От Jim C. Nasby
Тема Re: Thinking about breaking up the BufMgrLock
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Feb 06, 2005 at 10:53:38PM -0500, Greg Stark wrote:
> This is a well understood problem. I remember it from my Systems class in
> school. And searching on google finds lecture notes that match my memory that
> there are other systems generally preferred to LRU precisely because they
> don't require extensive list management in the critical path.
>
> For example these slides:
>
> http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/lorenzo/corsi/cs372/03F/notes/11-20.pdf

It might be worth taking a gander at the appropriate sections of either
The Design and Implementation of the 4.4 BSD Operating System
(http://lnk.nu/amazon.com/1ds) or the 4.3 version
(http://lnk.nu/amazon.com/1dt). I've read the 4.3 one, and there's a lot
of discussion of the buffer management algorithms chosen, and why they
were chosen.