Re: Questions about functionality

От David Fetter
Тема Re: Questions about functionality
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Fri, Feb 04, 2005 at 09:06:49AM -0700, Ignacio Colmenero wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I have been in this list for a very short period of time so, if my
> questions have been answered before, please tell me and I will
> browse again in the archives.
>
> 1. Is there anything in Postgre or third-party solutions similar to
> Oracle's SQL Loader, to upload a flat file into a table, according
> to certain rules?  Any solutions you have tried before to solve this
> issue?

COPY is not exactly like SQL*Loader, in the sense that you can't tell
it things like "It's OK for 0.1% of these to be bad."  Such a feature
would be a Very Nice Thing(TM), but hasn't been implemented yet.

Please feel free to help spec and/or write the thing :)

> 2. What are the nuts and bolts to run a SQL script from a batch
> file? I have browsed the documentation and I haven't seen anything
> clear.
>
> 3. Can I store more than one polygon in a polygon datatype field,
> like ((x1,y1),(x2,y2),.),((x10,y10),(x11,y11),.) or I have to
> install PostGIS?

Others have answered these.

> 4. Can I query an object in another database, like in Oracle's dblink?

Yes.  contrib/dblink lets you query other PostgreSQL databases
efficiently.  If you need to query other kinds of data sources,
including Oracle, you can use DBI-Link
http://pgfoundry.org/projects/dbi-link/

> As you may guess, Oracle Databases have been my bread and butter for
> the last 5 years, but now I am dealing with Postgre, and I think it
> is great!!!!

I know you didn't know this in advance, but it's PostgreSQL or
Postgres or PG.  "Postgre" raises hackles the way "'Frisco" does for
people who live in the City By The Bay.

> Sorry if my questions are kind of newbie.

We are all n00b at some level.  Welcome to the community :)

Cheers,
phone: +1 510 893 6100   mobile: +1 415 235 3778

Remember to vote!