Re: libpq API incompatibility between 7.4 and 8.0

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: libpq API incompatibility between 7.4 and 8.0
Дата
Re: libpq API incompatibility between 7.4 and 8.0  (Greg Stark <gsstark@mit.edu>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
> > Well, if you just want to bump libpq's SO_MAJOR_VERSION, I won't
> > object.
>
> Yes.  Unless someone objects, I will do that for 8.0.* and 8.1.*.

I am thinking we should up the 8.0.* and 8.1.* releases to have the same
major number, but not make a major libpq bump for every major release
unless it is required, like with prog_name.  Is that the plan?

I guess the big question is whether we would ever want a 7.2 psql or any
other client to automatically use a 7.3 libpq.  In fact by upping the
major every time will 7.2 clients automatically use the 7.3 libpq or
will they have to be relinked?

Pennsylvania19073