Views and rules section (link provided below)

От Rob LoPresti
Тема Views and rules section (link provided below)
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
On the page:
http://borg.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/static/rules-views.html

Is the text (very close to the top):

---------
 Views in PostgreSQL are implemented using the rule
system. In fact, there
is essentially no difference between

CREATE VIEW myview AS SELECT * FROM mytab;

compared against the two commands

CREATE TABLE myview (same column list as mytab);
CREATE RULE "_RETURN" AS ON SELECT TO myview DO
INSTEAD
    SELECT * FROM mytab;
----------

I did this the second way (actually using 7.3.4, but
the documentation is
nearly identical), and as I'm still a little new to
postgres, I created my
table with foreign key restraints, which works, but
causes problems if you
want to drop the view.  I searched for a workaround on
google, and found the
following bug report:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-bugs/2003-09/msg00134.php

which received this reply:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-bugs/2003-09/msg00135.php

If it's unsupported, okay, no big deal, I won't do
that anymore, but the
exact detail that Tom Lane's response says is
unsupported is the same as the
above example taken straight from the manual.  I don't
claim to know the
best way to rewrite the section, but I'd like to put
forward the suggestion
that it not use any unsupported examples.

Thank you for your consideration,
-Rob