Re: PostgreSQL clustering VS MySQL clustering

От Josh Berkus
Тема Re: PostgreSQL clustering VS MySQL clustering
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Bruno,

> Which brings up another question: why not just cluster at the hardware
> layer? Get an external fiberchannel array, and cluster a bunch of dual
> Opterons, all sharing that storage. In that sense you would be getting
> one big PostgreSQL 'image' running across all of the servers.
>
> Or is that idea too 90's?  ;-)

No, it just doesn't work.   Multiple postmasters can't share one database.

LinuxLabs (as I've gathered) tried to go one better by using a tool that
allows shared memory to bridge multple networked servers -- in other words,
one postmaster controlling 4 or 5 servers.   The problem is that IPC via this
method is about 1,000 times slower than IPC on a single machine, wiping out
all of the scalability gains from having the cluster in the first place.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions