Re: Building a list of fields ?

От Michael Fuhr
Тема Re: Building a list of fields ?
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Wed, Jan 19, 2005 at 12:38:11PM -0500, David.Jacques@CCRS.NRCan.gc.ca wrote:

> I'm trying to make a generic function  InsertValues().
>
> In order to do this (cleanly) I need to construct a field list from
> the table name passed in as an argument. However I see no libpq function
> to return the field names of a table. Does such a thing exist ?

I don't see a function that specifically returns a table's structure,
but you can use the functions listed under "Retrieving Query Result
Information" to inspect the results of a query against that table.

> I thought I was on to something by using the pg_attribute system table,
>  but there is no field to relate a column to its table.

Yes there is -- attrelid is the table's OID.  You can join attrelid
with pg_class.oid.

--
Michael Fuhr
http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/