Re: which dual-CPU hardware/OS is fastest for PostgreSQL?

От Benjamin Wragg
Тема Re: which dual-CPU hardware/OS is fastest for PostgreSQL?
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Hi,

From what I've been reading on the list for the last few months, adaptec
isn't that good when it comes to RAID controllers, but LSI keeps popping up.
Is there any particual models that are recommended as I'm in the market for
two new servers both with RAID controllers. The server specs I'm thinking
are as follows:

Box 1
Fedora 64bit core 3
4 GB RAM (2GB per CPU)
2 x Opteron CPU ???
Tyan K8S
LSI® 53C1030 U320 SCSI controller Dual-channel

Box 2
Fedora 64bit core 3
2 GB RAM (1GB per CPU)
2 x Opteron CPU ???
Tyan K8S
LSI® 53C1030 U320 SCSI controller Dual-channel

This motherboard has can "Connects to PCI-X Bridge A, LSI® ZCR (Zero Channel
RAID) support (SCSI Interface Steering Logic)". I believe this means I can
get a LSI MegaRAID 320-0 which a few have mentioned on the list
(http://www.lsilogic.com/products/megaraid/scsi_320_0.html). It supports
RAID 10 and supports battery backed cache. Anyone had any experience with
this?

Any other particular controller that people recommend? From what I've been
reading RAID 10 and battery backed cache sound like things I need. :)

Thanks,

Benjamin Wragg