Re: About user administration

От Michael Fuhr
Тема Re: About user administration
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Tue, Jan 11, 2005 at 04:49:50PM -0700, Hector Rosas wrote:

> Well I came from a mysql environment where I give permision to certain
> user with some ip, identified by some password and other things. While
> reading the documentation, I didn't find anything about that, I read
> about that create user, but later, I had to modify pg_hba.conf but
> didn't know about that till someone told me, and other things like
> creating a user, the user can connect but cannot read any table.
> Things like that, that aren't documented in the standard
> documentation,

All of those things are in the documentation.  Did you read the
chapters entitled "Database Users and Privileges" and "Client
Authentication"?  Those chapter titles are obvious and they're
visible in the documentation's top-level Table of Contents, so it
would be hard to claim that the information was buried where you
couldn't find it.

> I hope I explainen my self, and if you know about any good doc to
> read,please tell me. Thanks

The PostgreSQL documentation is quite good -- many people have
learned the software thoroughly using nothing else, so give it a
chance.  Go through the Tutorial and at least skim the rest so you
know what's there.  If you're going to run your own server then do
spend some time reading the Server Administration part.

--
Michael Fuhr
http://www.fuhr.org/~mfuhr/