Re: VACUUMing for 30 minutes

От
Тема Re: VACUUMing for 30 minutes
Дата
Re: VACUUMing for 30 minutes
Список pgsql-admin
Hello,

I still have this issue of a looooong vacuum process on a DB that is
not really all that big in schema (~ 30 tables) nor size (biggest table
is ~150K rows, another ~120K, all others only a few thousand rows
each).

VACUUMing this DB takes about 30 minutes, and during that time the DB
is pretty unresponsive, although the PG process is not using a lot of
CPU (load ~ 1) nor memory (~20MB for the VACUUM process).

During VACUUM I see these DB sessions:

 28764 | simpydb  | postgres | select count(*) from pg_stat_activity
 25946 | simpydb  | otis     | VACUUM;

My questions are:
- Does it sounds normal that such a small DB would need 30 minute
vacuuming?  (My iRobot Rumba does my apartment in less time.)

- Should I be giving PG more RAM while it's VACUUMing? (the PG process
running VACUUM is using only 20MB now, but I'm not sure if it needs
more)

Here are some possibly relevant config settings:

shared_buffers = 2048
sort_mem = 4096         # min 64, size in KB
effective_cache_size = 10000

#vacuum_mem = 8192  -- oh, look at that.  Can I freely give it more
without affecting the memory consumption while VACUUM is not running?

Thanks,
Otis