"too many clients" and no cure

От postgresql@thomasbache.de
Тема "too many clients" and no cure
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Hi,

I experience some trouble with my PG server. I get the error message
"too
many clients". Ok, so I checked the manual and adjusted the
max_connections and shared_buffers, but still the server denies access,
if
there are about 100 connections. I just recently increased the shared
buffers from 10000 to 50000 and the system shared memory fom 128m to
about
800m. Still the error occurs at 100 active connections.

Here's some system info:
OS is SuSE Linux 9.1 (kernel 2.6.7-040722)
I have 1GB of RAM.
PG is 7.4.2
Parameters in postgresql.conf:
max_connections = 500