Re: These Lists Are Being Cut To FOUR

От Joel
Тема Re: These Lists Are Being Cut To FOUR
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Richard Huxton wrote

> Joel wrote:
> >
> > But we probably do need someone from the mail list to go co-proponent
> > with Mike.
> >
> > Unless, of course, the majority of the list would prefer to keep the
> > status quo.
>
> I must admit I'm not clear what difference this makes to those of us
> subscribed to the mailing lists. Is the following correct?
>
> 1. We already have a news<=>mail gateway
> 2. The namespace is not officially recognised which means many news
> servers don't provide a feed.
> 3. Mike Cox would like to go through the process to get some of these
> names in the official hierarchy, thus spreading access
> 4. All lists will continue to be available via news.postgresql.org
>
> If so, it seems that the only difference I (as a mail-based user) will
> see is more people posting via newsgroups rather than email.
>
> Am I missing something here?

No, not really. It raises the profile of the project a bit, makes access
to PostGreSQL a little easier for people who find usenet easier or
cheaper to use than mailing lists.

I don't think it's worth distracting the developers over it, but if some
of the users have some spare time to push it through, it might be worth
the effort.

And it would show support for usenet policy. Good neighbor stuff, you
know. Karma, as they say.

--
Joel <rees@ddcom.co.jp>