Re: ALERT This mailing list may be voted into a newsgroup

От Steve Atkins
Тема Re: ALERT This mailing list may be voted into a newsgroup
Дата
Список pgsql-general
(All as I understand it. If Marc or someone else who's involved wants
to correct and clarify it'd be appreciated.)

This mailing list is already gatewayed to
comp.databases.postgresql.general (that's where the spammers harvest
your email address if you post to the list).

This is nothing new. It has been that way for a while, with minimal
problems on the mailing list side, with the exception of spammers
harvesting email addresses.  That's partly because it's primarily a
one-way gateway - mailing list to newsgroup. Posts to the newsgroup
are only propagated to the mailing list if the posting email address
is a subscriber to the mailing list.

But comp.databases.postgresql.general was never correctly created -
it's a bogus newsgroup. As it's bogus, many newsservers won't carry it
by default, though they'll often add it if users request it.

The discussion in news.groups is about "doing the paperwork" for the
already existing groups. There's interest in the newsgroups and
providers are being asked to carry them. Formalising their creation
will make that easier, as many newsservers will start carrying them
automagically.

There may be significant pressure to change the gateway to a two-way
gateway, sending all usenet posts to the mailing list, as part of the
"doing the paperwork" process. That may cause problems. On the other
hand without the full two-way gateway there's a risk of the forum
splitting into two parts, with mailing-list subscribers not seeing
posts from usenet participants, fragmenting threads and making both
the mailing list and the newsgroup less useful for all participants.

Cheers,
  Steve