Re: apple uses Postgres for RemoteDesktop 2

От Joel
Тема Re: apple uses Postgres for RemoteDesktop 2
Дата
Список pgsql-general
I usually get in trouble when I open my mouth, but ...

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 22:02:15 -0600
"Scott Marlowe" <smarlowe@qwest.net> wrote

> On Tue, 2004-08-17 at 05:22, David Teran wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > maybe anyone already knows that Apple is distributing Postgres 7.3.3
> > with RemoteDesktop 2. Its located in
> > /System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/rmdb.bundle/
> >
> > BUT... they did not do a good job: -their- installation is using the
> > default port which means: either -their- version works or the one that
> > the server owner maybe installed on the same server. In our case
> > neither our Postgres nor the one from RemoteDesktop 2 did start up
> > because of file conflicts.
> >
> > If anyone from the Postgres (or from whereever) team is in contact with
> > apple about RemoteDesktop and Postgres it would be great it they could
> > ask apple to change their port, its unbelievable that they did not care
> > about this problem.
>
> Why can't the user and the OS use the same server?  I mean what's the
> reason not to, not the problems one might encounter that could be
> overcome?  It would seem that by having one single server on a machine
> memory would be more effectively utilized and performance for both
> should be ok.

Apple does some "weird" stuff with things. Much of the configuration
information will be found in proprietary xml files instead of the usual
.conf style files we've all come to know and love, and they have their
own view of where the various directories should go.

It all makes sense, but it takes some figuring out to get an update in
properly.

One more bit of information, Remote Desktop is an app.

I suppose that the best advice to give the OP on this is to point out
how he can set up his own install of postgresql to use another port. (I
should look that up, but it's not handy right now.)

--
Joel <rees@ddcom.co.jp>