What's the best way to use a Solid State HDD?

От Chris Gamache
Тема What's the best way to use a Solid State HDD?
Дата
Re: What's the best way to use a Solid State HDD?  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-admin
I'm using a TiGiJet 2GB Solid State drive. My thought was to place the WAL on
it to speed up writes. I don't know of any tools that exist to determine the
effectiveness of this except for anecdotal analysis (This type of query took 3
minutes yesterday, and 1 minute today) ... Sar gives me machine-wide stats, but
we do more than PostgreSQL here. I can enable stats, but will that tell me what
I'm looking for?

Vmstat reports no swapping of pages of ram to disk, so I don't think it would
make sense to make it a Linux Swap drive.

I suppose I could move some actual tables and indexes to the device.
Tablespaces might make this easy. I'm still using 7.4.3. If I had to pick
between tables and indexes, which would make more sense to put on the
solid-state device?

What would you do if you had a solid state hdd to use and you wanted to speed
up PostgreSQL?