(libpq) listen/notify messages are converted to lowercase and/or are case insensitive

От Frank van Vugt
Тема (libpq) listen/notify messages are converted to lowercase and/or are case insensitive
Дата
Re: (libpq) listen/notify messages are converted to lowercase and/or are case insensitive  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-general
L.S.

Either the docs or I are missing something....

While using libpq I noticed that listen/notify calls were being converted to
lowercase. A further look showed that the listen/notify calls seem to be
totally case insensitive:

free4testing=# select version();
                               version
 PostgreSQL 7.4.3 on i686-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC egcs-2.91.66

free4testing=# listen barcode_needed;
LISTEN
free4testing=# notify BARCODE_NEEDED;
NOTIFY
Asynchronous notification "barcode_needed" received from server process with
PID 32638.
free4testing=# unlisten BARCODE_NEEDED;
UNLISTEN
free4testing=#

Obviously, things work and they probably work as intended, but I wasn't able
to find anything on this behaviour in the docs. For a moment I thought that
the syntax rule 'unquoted letters are forced to lowercase' of SQL applied
here as well, but any double quotes used are simply interpreted as part of
the name.

Any further comments on this are appreciated.

--
Best,

Frank.