Re: Replication options?

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: Replication options?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Liam Lesboch wrote:
> Thes slashdots post today about the beta releases of 8.0 caught the
> attention of my boss and I. Many comments about the replicator issue
> and saw many posts about Slony-I in particular. Maybe this is the
> only viable option in PostgreSQL? There are others that cost money
> but no where did we surface a article that spoke of them in any form
> of critique or tutorial (good or bad) and thats a concern for my
> boss. What large companies use replicators for PostgreSQL?

Slony-I and eRServer give you an asynchronous master/slave replication
system that allows you to setup load balancing or data warehouse type
things, or even failover with some replication gap.  In my experience,
most people don't need the load balancing part.  If all you're after is
securing your database system against hardware failures (which most
people are after), I suggest you set up two machines with a shared
storage (talk to your hardware vendor) or a replicating file system
(like DRBD) and make the two machines monitor each other so that only
one machine has the database mounted at any time.

--
Peter Eisentraut