Re: SERIAL type not autoincremented

От jseymour@linxnet.com (Jim Seymour)
Тема Re: SERIAL type not autoincremented
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
teknet@poczta.onet.pl wrote:

> Hello
> i have:
> create table student(
> id                      SERIAL NOT NULL,
> name               VARCHAR(35) NOT NULL,
> primary key (id)
> );
>
> and when i try to insert like this:
> insert into student (name) values('me');
> i receive error:
> ERROR:  duplicate key violates unique constraint "student_pkey"

You must be leaving something out of the story...

$ psql
Password:
jseymour=# create table student(
jseymour(# id                      SERIAL NOT NULL,
jseymour(# name               VARCHAR(35) NOT NULL,
jseymour(# primary key (id)
jseymour(# );
NOTICE:  CREATE TABLE will create implicit sequence "student_id_seq"
  for "serial" column "student.id"
  "student_pkey" for table "student"
CREATE TABLE
jseymour=# insert into student (name) values('me');
INSERT 8776502 1
jseymour=# insert into student (name) values('me');
INSERT 8776503 1
jseymour=# insert into student (name) values('me');
INSERT 8776504 1
jseymour=# select * from student;
 id | name
  1 | me