Re: Error handling in stored functions/procedures

От Jurgen Defurne
Тема Re: Error handling in stored functions/procedures
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Sun, 30 May 2004 22:08:10 +0200
Karsten Hilbert <Karsten.Hilbert@gmx.net> wrote:

> > This then, removes the first part of my explanation, and dumps me
> > completely in the second part, which is where the biggest problems
> > reside.
> AFAICT 7.4 does much better error handling (no, you can't
> easily control error handling inside a transaction, though). It
> reports errors in a way that can be parsed a lot better thus
> allowing for fairly easy translation into meaningful user
> messages.

You mean that the default generated error messages contain some more
information I presume, like the table name and the constraint name ?

I think I noticed that already, and since I had time since yesterday
evening, I thought things over and came to the conclusion that this
mechanism at least gives an escape hatch, since it is possible to give a
name to each constraint, and then use this name as an index to get a
proper error message.

Regards,

Jurgen