Re: A simple question about Read committed isolation level

От Uwe C. Schroeder
Тема Re: A simple question about Read committed isolation level
Дата
Список pgsql-general

You might want to check out yesterdays thread with the subject
"Table Lock issue". Tom gave a really long and detailed explanation there
(which I'm very grateful for).
The problem you have looks similar, if not identical to the one in that
thread.

UC

On Friday 16 April 2004 03:49 am, weiping he wrote:
> Tom Lane 写道:
> >weiping he <laser@qmail.zhengmai.net.cn> writes:
> >>txn1: txn2:
> >>begin; begin;
> >>update table_a set col= col + 1; update table_a set col = col + 1;
> >>end; end;
> >>

> >>if two transaction begin at exact the same time,
> >>what's the result of 'col' after both transactions committed
> >>in Read committed level? it's 3 or 2?
> >>My understanding is the result is 3,
> >
> >If the second xact to lock the row is READ COMMITTED, you get 3.
> >If it's SERIALIZABLE you get an error.  In no case will you silently
> >lose an update.
>
> dose is mean that I must use some kind of lock ( ... FOR UPDATE for
> example) to lock that row to get the result 3 in READ COMMITTED level? My
> understanding
> is even in MVCC environment, the update action would still be executed
> sequencly
> (by means of some kind of lock).
>
> What confused me is: in MVCC environment, what's the procedure of
> postgresql to
> use lock when two transaction update to the same row at the same time?
>
> thanks you.
>
> Laser

- --
    UC

- --
Open Source Solutions 4U, LLC    2570 Fleetwood Drive
Phone:  +1 650 872 2425        San Bruno, CA 94066
Cell:   +1 650 302 2405        United States
Fax:    +1 650 872 2417