Re: PostgreSQL configuration

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: PostgreSQL configuration
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> > My personal opinion is that we should move the config files from
> > pgsql/data to pgsql/data/etc.  Unix config files aren't put in /, they
> > are in /etc, so this seems logical.  I was never comfortable with having
> > editable files right next to files that shouldn't be touched.
>
> Perhaps we are arguing at cross-purposes.  Are you saying that the
> postmaster should seek config files as, eg, $PGDATA/etc/postgresql.conf
> instead of $PGDATA/postgresql.conf?  That would be all right with me.
> I thought you were proposing to move them to /etc (absolute path),
> which isn't all right ...

I was always proposing $PGDATA/etc/postgresql.conf.  /etc would be
terrible, as you say.

One of my other ideas was to auto-create a symlink during initdb if
someone wants the config directory (or pg_xlog directory) in a different
location, but that is another issue.  This is the Lockhart issue that I
think we actually agreed to, but Thomas didn't want us to use symlinks,
hence the propogation of flags to many programs that we didn't like.  I
eventually had to back out the patch, and no one continued the process.

> > Secondly, everyone seems to like the 'include' idea, and it gives
> > per-line control over file sharing.
>
> Yeah, I think include is non-controversial, the argument is about what
> else (if anything) to change.

Yea.

Pennsylvania19073