Re: Problems Vacuum'ing

От jseymour@LinxNet.com (Jim Seymour)
Тема Re: Problems Vacuum'ing
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
I had written:

[snip]

> The problem is that attempts to vacuum these tables resulted in "NNN
> dead row versions cannot be removed yet."  Went through a lot of
> analysis (e.g.: "Any hanging txns?") and trying different things with
> folks on the #PostgreSQL IRC channel, all to no avail.
[snip]

Okay, the mystery is *partially* solved.  In IRC, when this was
brought up again this morning due to my post to -hackers, two things
happened:
   I did a vacuumdb on one of the tables and, much to my surprise,   what wouldn't vacuum before I left work last nite
*did*work this   morning.  And...

   JanniCash discovered this in utils/time/tqual.c (I believe):
   * OldestXmin is a cutoff XID (obtained from GetOldestXmin()).  Tuples   * deleted by XIDs >= OldestXmin are deemed
"recentlydead"; they might   * still be visible to some open transaction, so we can't remove them,   * even if we see
thatthe deleting transaction has committed.

So the next thing I did was run a bunch of updates, quit the script,
then ran a while loop from the (Unix) command-line, trying to vacuum
the one table every 30 seconds.  To summarize...
   Fri Apr  2 08:54:54 EST 2004   INFO:  "ethers": found 0 removable, 1834 nonremovable row           versions in 93
pages  DETAIL:  1466 dead row versions cannot be removed yet.   ...   Fri Apr  2 08:58:56 EST 2004   INFO:  "ethers":
found1466 removable, 368 nonremovable row    versions in 93 pages   DETAIL:  0 dead row versions cannot be removed
yet.

Which is all well-and-good (tho, my ignorance readily conceded, four
minutes seems a mite... long), *except*: If I shut-down the
WebObjects application which, again, never accesses the db in
question, much-less any of its tables, this "time-out" doesn't seem
to apply.  (I tried it.)

Any explanation for this behaviour?

Thanks,
Jim
--
Jim Seymour                  | PGP Public Key available at:
jseymour@LinxNet.com         | http://www.uk.pgp.net/pgpnet/pks-commands.html

Сообщение: Re: Inconsistent behavior on Array & Is Null?
Сообщение: Re: Inconsistent behavior on Array & Is Null?