Re: License for PostgreSQL for commercial purpose

От listas@lozano.eti.br
Тема Re: License for PostgreSQL for commercial purpose
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Hi,

> > | The Postgres license is a free software license that is GPL
> > | compatible.
> >
> > Where GPL compatible means (possibly among other things) that I can get
> > a BSD-licensed Postgresql and turn it into a GPL-licensed MyPostgresql ?
> >
> No, it means you can distribute the two together like on a redhat CD
> without worrying about conflicting licenses.

If I understand the licenses correctly, the point about being GPL-compatible is
not putting everything on a CD. It's linking gpl code with non-gpl code. Say, I
create a command-based dump utility for PostgreSQL (and so links the pgsql
clientlibrary) but use the GNU Readline library for command-listory (which is
gpl'ed). If the PostgreSQL license wasn't compatible, I would bot be able to
link the Readline library into my executable.

[]s, Fernando Lozano