Re: COPY formatting

От Josh Berkus
Тема Re: COPY formatting
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Karel, Andrew, Fernando:

> On Wed, Mar 17, 2004 at 11:02:38AM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Karel Zak <zakkr@zf.jcu.cz> writes:
> > >  The formatting function API can be pretty simple:
> > >  text *my_copy_format(text *attrdata, int direction,
> > >              int nattrs, int attr, oid attrtype, oid relation)

No offense, but isn't this whole thing more appropriate for a client program?
Like the pg_import and pg_export projects on GBorg?   Has anyone looked at
those projects?

I can see making a special provision for CSV in COPY, just because it's such a
universal format.   But I personally don't see that a complex, sophisticated
import/export formatter belongs on the SQL command line.   Particularly since
most users will want a GUI to handle it.

And, BTW, I deal with CSV *all the time* for my insurance clients, and I can
tell you that that format hasn't changed in 20 years.   We can hard-code it
if it's easier.

--
-Josh BerkusAglio Database SolutionsSan Francisco