Re: Database Encryption (now required by law in Italy)

От Robert J Carter
Тема Re: Database Encryption (now required by law in Italy)
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On March 6, 2004 03:59, Silvana Di Martino wrote:
>  pgsql-admin@postgresql.org

> Both USA and UE companies have to comply with WTO rules. There are
> international agreements between USA and EU regarding online commerce and
> these agreements states that a company in EU cannot violate the law on
> commerce of USA if it operates on the USA territory and, of course, vice
> versa. Nowadays, no one can play just for himself on this small planet, in
> particular if he wants to sell his stuff to others.

You are, of course, correct - but you're missing one thing.

When you connect to amazon.com from italy,  my understanding is that you're
(legally) conducting business in the USA, because that's where the
transaction actually takes place - that's where the servers are.

The reverse however should be correct - I should now be able to connect to an
Italian website from here in Canada, and not have to worry about my info
winding up in the hands of some @#*($&@#*( spammer :-)